As the Creative Comic Collection Data Workshop was warmly received last year, ASCDC is delighted to host a new one this year to welcome those who had missed the event or former participants who'd like to double up the fun.
To configure a storyline, the reading, fieldwork, and miscellaneous research often constitute one of the trickiest part of creative work. If archival data remains an esoteric resource, it will eventually fall into oblivion in the vast multitude of cultural production. Only by being constantly shed light on and reinterpreted can it stay in touch with the present concerns and interests and generate new meanings.
This workshop is not a cram school that trains manga artists or genre fiction writers; it offers methodology and guidelines in the preparatory work of artistic creation based on archival data and various types of materials, be it photographic, audio-visual, textual or artefact.
How to channel the archeological energy of data-delving into artistic appropriation? The Creative Comic Collection Data Workshop will give you some clue.
About the Workshop
- Organized by: Academia Sinica Center for Digital Cultures
- Sponsored by: Academia Sinica & Ministry of Culture, Executive Yuan
- Venue: 2F Lecture Room, NTU Sports Center, No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei
- 13:00-17:00, Saturday September 22, 2018
LESSON 1：Coming Up with A Topic and Digital Resources, Lai Kuo-feng (editor of Creative Comic Collection)
LESSON 2：Collecting and Making Use of Historical Materials, Ng Tsin-lam (owner of Huoshuilai Bookshop)
- 13:00-17:00, Sunday September 30, 2018
LESSON 3：Data Dojins from Japan, Naoki Satomi (public relations officer of Comic Market)
LESSON 4：Collecting and Interpreting Materials, Ho Yi-hung (social media officer at gushi.tw)
- 13:00-17:00, Saturday October 6, 2018
LESSON 5：Legal Aspects of Dojin Creative Work, Yu Yao-cheng (associate research fellow at a governmental foundation)
LESSON 6：Half-Baked Session: Presentation of Proposals, Su Wei-xi (chief executive of Fancy Frontier)
- Sunday October 28, 2018
- Get involved
- Only R.O.C. citizens over 18 holding a valid ID are eligible.
- Please read carefully the workshop overview and FAQ on the workshop’s website.
- The workshop is free of charge, but participants must:
- Not be absent from over 3 courses
- Complete the proposed project after the workshop
- Attend the Workshop Showcase on October 28, 2018 and present the project