ASCDC is structured as a project-focused center. It is led by one Director, three Deputy Directors, one Executive Secretary, and two Assistant Research Specialists. Its highest governing body is the Advisory Committee of Digital Archives.
The operations of the Main Project Office consist of projects (content creation), information technology (website design, programming development, and platform building), and administration (organization and support). The Office’s primary task is to advance the Center’s “Innovative Cyberinfrastructure and Digital Tools” and “Outreach Initiatives: Publication and Exhibition.” Each year, ASCDC also solicits and oversees co-project proposals through a transparent, external, academic review process. ASCDC assists co-projects in establishing “Linked Knowledge Bases for Digital Humanities” and developing digital tools and technology for “Academic Research in the Digital Humanities,” collaborating with the work of institutes and individual researchers to mutually advance digital humanities research at Academia Sinica.
The duties of the Main Project Office are:
|Innovative Cyberinfrastructure and Digital Tools
- Text analysis research platform: Meet humanities scholars’ demands by developing digital tools on a platform that improve research quality and efficiency.
- Image analysis research platform: Assist humanities scholars with more efficient methods to store, showcase, enrich, and research large quantities of image resource in a digital era.
- Optical character recognition: Develop tools for text recognition and online editing through the use of machine learning technology applied to large-scale image and text data from ancient Chinese books.
- Linked open data (LOD): Build a model for LOD data conversion, develop LOD applications, and enable Taiwan’s digital cultural heritage to cross language and cultural boundaries to link to the world.
- Xiaoxuetang Database: Continue building a philological database integrating shape, sound, and meaning, that serves as a vital reference source for philological research in Taiwan and abroad.
- GIS for Religious Landscape in Taiwan: Map the nature and distribution of Taiwan’s religious landmarks over time, integrating government data, historical records, specialist reports, and crowdsourcing together with Geographic Information System (GIS) technology in this open nationwide survey.
- Art & Architecture Thesaurus Taiwan: Translate the Chinese language version of the Getty Research Institute’s Art and Architecture Thesaurus, adding new local vocabulary and building an AAT-Taiwan search platform.
- Platform development services: Design, develop, and analyze websites and platforms for ASCDC’s various projects. Maintain and preserve 581 associated websites.
|Outreach Initiatives: Publication and Exhibition
- Publication & book fairs: Showcase digital humanities research through both physical and digital publishing.
- Open Museum: Create an environment for free access to digital objects, providing a virtual space and services for collection, research, display, licensing, and curation.
- International connections: Strengthen exchange with the global academic community and raise the international visibility and influence of Taiwan’s digital culture through substantive cooperation with international academic institutions, international seminars, paper presentations, etc.
- A Social and Cultural Survey of Rural Taiwan Project (collaboration with the Council of Agriculture): Build a database tracking crucial elements of rural Taiwan’s environment, industry, society, culture, and historical change, integrating cross-disciplinary data.
- International Exhibition of Digital Archives Project (collaboration with the Ministry of Culture): Curate model exhibitions in Chinese and English, and link exhibition items to international thesauri via integration with AAT-Taiwan.
- Human resources: Manage and allocate human resources across projects and organizational units.
- Accounting: Manage budgeting across departments in accordance with Academia Sinica regulations.
- Project review & management: Ratify and manage 2022 co-projects through external academic review protocols. Uphold policy and communications with co-projects and Academia Sinica central administration.
- General affairs & conferences: Organize conferences and seminars, as well as work meetings and records thereof.
- External reporting & inquiries: Fulfill requests for reports and information from Academia Sinica administration and the Legislative Yuan.
- Union Catalog quality assurance: Conduct quality control and evaluation of items digitized by co-projects that are imported into the Union Catalog.